Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Not within our realm of thinking

OH...........MY...........GOSH


My coworker just showed me this. Costco stores are pulling "Lil' Monkey" brown skinned baby dolls from their shelves. I am working on being less judgmental, but HOW DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS IS OFFENSIVE!?

Mary Gustaff, CEO of The Brass Key, said her company did not intend
to offend anyone.

"It's not within our realm of thinking," she said.

"We just don't think like that."

This is why, in the 21st century we NEED to be surrounded by people who have different life and cultural experiences than us. Some things are beyond our natural "realm of thinking." We'll make fewer stupid mistakes like this if not everyone thinks in the same realm as us. Churches, schools, businesses, and non-profits NEED diversity to survive.

2 comments:

Harvey Birth said...

Speaking as a white guy who has said some really racially sensitive things through sheer ignorance, I say "Amen to that!"

Emily K. Bright said...

I've thought stuff like that before, and now I'm working on my students not to.