Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back to School!

Kids in Minneapolis went back to school today. Pray for teachers, parents, kids, social workers, coaches, advisors, administrators, and the school board everyone in the school system.

We have two brothers that live in the first floor apartment across the street from us. Each day when I go out to my car or walk to the garden they stand at the window and say, "Hi!" It's really sort of odd. These two little boys, who have a tv and lots of toys in the apartment spend most of their day looking out the window hoping that one of the people outside will say "hi" back to them. Wanda told me that last week, a squad car slowed down as it drove through our neighborhood, and that the cop inside the car rolled down his window to say "hi" to the window boys. It's become a game that every adult in our neighborhood plays.

It started with just the big brother, then the baby came along, now Mom even comes to the window sometimes. I don't know their names, they never play outside. When we try to engage them in more conversation the language barrier gets in the way. The oldest brother has got to be kindergarten age or close to it now. I'm excited to see how school impacts him and his family.

I also promised about 2 months ago that I was going to do some research on performance pay for teachers, which is something that I haven't done yet, but will do. I have one more paper to write for Street Culture, The Poor and Urban Ministry , then I get my "summer vacation" from seminary (we don't start fall quarter until the end of September!) So forgive me and know that I haven't forgotten.

tangent: I was doing homework at the global market on Saturday and discovered "Obama Scented" lotion. It kind of smelled like Old Spice. Weird.

No comments: