Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Kisses

Last year, Emily's mom sent us a "Kissing Ball" a big ball of pine and fir and mistletoe that we hung from the door of the library. It was tricky to water, but beautiful and the scent was lovely. You just needed to make sure that you never went into or out of the library at the same time as someone who wanted to kiss you, but you didn't want to kiss ;o) (not really a big problem most days)


I have one very favorite Christmas CD, I've been playing it since election day, (no joke). Sarah McLachlan's "Wintersong" is just the most beautiful, haunting, lovely collection of Christmas music I have ever heard. I found a video on youtube that someone put together with the song "In the bleak midwinter". Listen to the lyrics. . .

Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
but his mother only, in her maiden bliss,
worshiped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
if I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
yet what can I give him: give my heart.






I love the idea of worshiping the God who created the entire universe by kissing a tiny baby. In the book, The Shack, when the trinity sits down to "do devotions" they kiss each other's hands and say, "I am devoted to you." So lovely.

I just adore this song, the shepherds worship by bringing lambs, the wisemen do their part, Mary kisses the baby and we bring our heart. Such a beautiful picture of everyone having a part in the kingdom.

There's another Christmas kiss that I have been thinking about a lot lately too.

Psalm 85 says:

10 Unfailing love and truth have met together.
Righteousness and peace have kissed! (New Living Translation)

Now English is a pretty unique language in that we have 2 words, "righteousness" and "justice" in most languages, including Hebrew, there is just one word, justice. So in most languages, and in the Catholic English translation, the second part of this verse reads.

Justice and peace have kissed.

So this Christmas week, let's worship the beloved child with a kiss. Let's be people who do justice, let's be peacemakers. Let's look out for the least, let's stop injustice, let's work for an end to racism, let's pray that Shalom fills the earth this Christmas. Let's let justice and peace kiss all day long in our lives.

Christmas Kisses from the Stevens House.

Love,
Wanda, Bethany, Valerie, Katie and Noel

1 comment:

Katie said...

I am loving "wintersong" too...the best CD to listen to with just Christmas lights on.

Merry Christmas!!