Saturday, December 6, 2008

nativity theology - and economic redistribution

Redistribution is not a prescription for community. Redistribution is a description of what happens when people fall in love with each other across class lines.” - Shane Claiborne, in The Irresistible Revolution

I have four different nativity scene sets that I inherited from my grandparents.

As I set them up this morning I noticed something: all four of my sets had the Holy Family (Joe, Mary and Baby Jesus) which is good, Jesus is central to this CHRISTmas thing. Three of my sets had the wise men. But not a single one of my sets had any shepherds.

What kind of gospel do we have when the rich and educated, those who can bring immense physical wealth to the kingdom of God are those who are represented in the story?

Where are the poor and dirty teenagers and elderly who were watching their sheep by night?

Let's not even get started on the fact that the wise men didn't even make it to see Jesus on the night in the stable.

WHERE ARE MY SHEPHERDS?

Yesterday I went to a one day institute class on Economic Redistribution. (Wait are we marxist now? no just evangelicals, have you read the book of acts?)

It was so energizing and inspiring. There were ideas that were out of my area of expertise, but others that gave me ideas for my own ministry, personal life, and academic life.

One inspiring story was that of Pastor John Liotti, from East Palo Alto who after years of living in the neighborhood recognized that one of the biggest hinderances to Shalom life in his community was the lack of good banks.

There were check cashing businesses and payday lenders. Both of which were charging INSANE amounts of interest and fees, preying on the poor in the community and keeping them stuck in a cycle of poverty that went deeper and deeper with each transaction.

So with the help of some really smart wise men (MBAs and entreprenuers) John's community developed a plan and started a community credit union.

I am not an entrepreneur, I don't know if it would ever be in my skill set to do something like this, but they gave us other ideas too. Like going into community Jr. Highs and High Schools to teach financial literacy and poverty awareness.

Ideas like having a financial accountability question in small group ministries. "What did you spend your money on this week? Did you make any impulse buys that you regret now? How did you use your money for the kingdom?" This is going to take a lot of vulnerability, as I think sexuality and finances are two of the most sensitive topics in American culture right now.

I was blessed.

We also watched this video which might oversimplify things a bit, but it's good to watch and reflect on. Give yourself 20 minutes to watch it.

1 comment:

johan in progress said...

(Wait are we marxist now? no just evangelicals, have you read the book of acts?) = Classic

Also, I'm glad we have some shepherds of our own to outshine any token appearance on a table top. Plus good sheep!