Thursday, April 23, 2009

links - race, education and the environment

Happy day after Earth Day!

Noel, Bethany and I are getting a double plot in the community garden this year, this morning I planted pepper seeds and onions on our porch that I'll transplant when they get big. I'm really looking forward to this!

Here are some links that came up in my google reader, on facebook this week:

  • Newsweek had an article last week comparing the experiences of African American Princeton alums from the 1960s with those of their daughters at Princeton today in a "post-racial bubble."
  • Ed G. shares his take on it on the reconciliation blog.
  • Speaking of Princeton, The Kitchen Table, a blog by two African American Women professors at Princeton, Yolanda Pierce has an article about the micro-aggression of racial profiling while shopping with her daughter. Seeming to contradict the idea of a "post-racial bubble" (let alone society).
  • Also on The Kitchen Table, Mellisa Harris Lacewell has an interview with Majora Carter, on environmentalism in the South Bronx, and what racial oppression has to do with environmentalism.
  • And speaking of environmentalism, César J. Baldelomar has an article on God's politics on the Social and Religious Effects of Global Warming. Among other things, I hadn't considered the effect Global Warming might have on global poverty and therefor immigration before. It's worth a read.
  • Related to Global Poverty, my students, volunteers and I will be participating in the 30hour famine this weekend, or as one of my students likes to call it, "That Starving Thing." Pray for us, the students are raising money to fight hunger overseas, and collecting food for Simpson Food Shelf, here in our neighborhood.
  • Finally, on our topic of race and earth day Fox 9 had a story about Popeye's offering an Earth Day Special on fried chicken. The Minneapolis franchise (the only Popeye's in MN, and just a few blocks from our house) didn't honor the promotion. Is it just me, or does this story seem to be set up so that others can laugh at stereotypes of African Americans in the city? Should I send channel 9 a letter? (Also, I'm not sure what fried chicken in plastic bags, served with rice in styrofoam containers has to do with Earth Day, but that's not my point.)

2 comments:

KelseyChristine said...

post-racial is a ridiculous term, loved the first article! :) (I'm sure the others were good too, but I have to write a paper before I read them)

katie said...

I quite agree Kels.