Friday, June 6, 2008

Obama-rama: let's barack n' roll OR the blessing of Noel Ricardo Collier Nix


I'm going to link to Noel's blog today, because he has something good to say about what we experienced tuesday night. Living with Noel is a mini bachelor's degree in US Government, History, and Business. He's also VERY (almost annoyingly) good about asking me hard questions about everything, dating, friendships and work.


This week the Stevens House went to hear history at the Excel Energy Center. Emily and Bethany got in at different times, but due to some very cool connections Noel and I ended up on the floor of the arena, about 40 feet from the podium.

My alleigance is to Jesus and not to any political party, politician or government, but it is amazing to think that there is a good chance that we will have an African American president for the first time in history. I felt so honored to be able to experience this night with Noel, Aaron and Wilt, three African American brothers in Christ. I also ran into my cousin Reier a biracial man in his mid twenties. I wish that I had words to explain how cool it was to see these men reacting to Obama, a strong presidential candidate who is biracial: european and african american. Wilt's facebook album from Tuesday night is called "The Proudest Moment of My Adult Life". That's important for me to understand. It's important for me to experience. I need Noel and Wilt and Aaron and Reier. I need those experiences.

Yesterday I got a strange text message from a friend and I said to Noel, "Man, my life is so surreal."

"Uhhh, yeah!" was his reply, "You live in a house with 4 white women and a black man. You haven't noticed that our life is surreal?"

I think that I've lost sight of how "different" our house is. Not everyone gets to see life from another cultural perspective, another gender perspective, not everyone gets to eat with friends every day, or pray with their housemates. Our life is a delightful kind of surreal. I like it a lot.

No comments: