Friday, September 5, 2008

Oh, I went to a a garden party. . .

We
LOVE
OUR
NEIGHBORHOOD!!!


Bethany has been gardening at the Community Garden for the past 4 summers, on Sunday she invited me to come to a potluck with the gardeners.

Oh, it was so good for my soul to meet our neighbors eat some good food, sit in the shade surrounded by the almost jungle like lushness of a well cared for garden in late August.

If life started in the garden of Eden, and Heaven is like a banquet, and if heaven will be a gathering of people from every tongue tribe nation and people, I've got to say, this Garden party was a lot like life how God intends it to be. It was the most restful and peaceful activity of my week.

This summer I ended up with 20 small bottles of Famous Dave's "Rich and Sassy" BBQ sauce, and while I love BBQ I haven't been able to use it all up yet (shocking right?). While we were sitting around eating we got to talking about the ribs Mike had grilled and how we all enjoy Famous Dave's sauce. Linda ended up walking home with me and going back to the garden with BBQ sauce to bless 4 families with.

It's been really nice being able to greet neighbors that I met this weekend by name. I'm considering sharing Bethany's plot with her next year and learning how to garden. I think that it would be good for my soul.


The picture on top is of Louann, the garden coordinator with two neighbors, Mike and Ben. The first photo here is of Len and Linda who have lived in the neighborhood forever and remember our house before the Pat and Kendra era. The second is of me, Donna, and Bethany enjoying the feast. Donna was so kind and remembered my name throughout the afternoon.


PS If you didn't recognize the title, here's a great video link.

1 comment:

Special K said...

I am so jealous of your awesome garden and great community! You are so blessed!