Thursday, September 18, 2008

Stevens House blog. . . starring the Governator!

An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up (Proverbs 12:25)

I've been playing with the idea of writing this post for awhile, unsure if it's too much to share with you all, but I've been reminded that burdens are lighter when shared and that God is the spirit of truth and that truth sets us free. This blog is the story of our house and this is part of my story this week.

4 years ago, I didn't have health insurance. I found a lump. . . freaked out and went to the doctor. The doctor looked at it quickly, knew that I was uninsured and 23 years old and said, "it's a cyst, you're fine." So ten minutes after showing up I was done and very relieved.

This summer I went to the doctor for a physical (Park Avenue gives me great health insurance THANKS METHODISTS!!!!). My new doctor wasn't convinced that it was a cyst, so I was sent to the breast health center for an ultrasound. So, after a couple of appointments the radiologist and the surgeon have decided that it's definitely not a cyst, but probably fibroadenoma (that means not cancer or benign). A week from now I'll be having the lump removed for surgical biopsy, I'm almost certain that it will be ok, but my anxiety has been a little intense this week as I get ready to start school, get school year ministry going at Park Avenue and prep for this surgery.

So I'm asking for prayer, for me and my anxiety, for my surgery and my recovery. But I'm also asking for prayer for the many many many people in our country who still don't have health care. I'm not a policy expert (our temporary roommate Aaron is but he's at class at the Humphrey right now) so I don't know what the best thing is for the nation's health care crisis. But I do know that it's scary that I was dismissed after 10 minutes with something as scary as a lump, and I had a lot going for me, middle class, white, educated etc.

2 comments: