Thursday, October 9, 2008

revolution?

Here's a video flashback for ya - I saw this video on Maria's facebook page and it brought me such a sense of nostalgia that I designed a whole blog entry about it.



ahhh Tracy Chapman. . .

So this song is 20 years old, I remember listening to a Tracy Chapman cassette driving around in my dad's pickup as a little girl. I remember rediscovering her as a highschooler, and listening to the same tape in my first car as I drove through Duluth's low income Hillside neighborhood as a college student.

Things are more financially tight at our house than they've been in awhile. Part of it is having two of us in grad school. Part of it is the rising gas, food and utility costs. But we are pretty solidly middle class. I look around our neighborhood and its harder on lots of people around me. When Tracy sings about the people "crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation" I can't help but think about the people waiting in line at Simpson Housing every night (two blocks from our house).

A woman I know talked with me last week about the gas being shut off in her house in September and the electric being shut off in October. Her inlaws, originally from the caribean are living in her living room now, after their house in south went into forclosure. I'm starting to suspect that another family we know might be living out of their car after losing their home.

My prayer is that God would show me (and the rest of the middle class and wealthy) how to be generous in the face of economic stress. My prayer is too that there would be justice for the poor and that in the coming elections we would look not only for our own interests but also for the interests of others.

Peace to you.

No comments: