Monday, March 23, 2009

How to Build Community - Ask For Help When You Need It

HELP!

Oh, I needed it this weekend.

The Junior High Volunteers and I took 20 kids to camp in Minnetrista on Friday Night for a retreat called, "Can You Hear Me Now? - Hearing God's Voice."

Right before we left, one of the volunteers called, she had bad migraine, was seeing spots and felt nauseous. Quickly I started making calls, a friend of mine, Julie, was able to drive my car up to camp. Another friend came up to camp a few hours later and helped with the kids for a couple hours and even drove a child home who was having behavior problems.

I asked for help again Saturday afternoon when I realized that I hadn't planned a restaurant for dinner on the way home, a quick call to my dad, who is like a Lake Minnetonka area EXPERT, and I had directions to a sandwich place in Wayzata.

We ate our sandwiches, got back in the church van and started our trip down 394.

All of a sudden, I needed help again. The van was overheating and died on the freeway. "Ok, guys," I said as I coasted up the exit ramp. "We're going to pull over now, because the car is dying."

"You're funny. . . . . Oh, wait, you're not kidding."

I pulled over and started making phone calls, again asking for help. "Can you come pick up kids and luggage in Minnetonka?" "Do you know the name of a good tow-truck company?" "Can you bring me a bottle of coolant?" "Will you stay with me until the tow-truck comes?" "Can you drive me home?"

After the first few phone calls, I stopped for a minute, turned around and asked the 8 kids in the van with me to pray. Asking for help, and asking them to ask for help for me. An 8th grade girl who is super outgoing, but unsure what to make of the God thing started to pray.

Throughout the whole ordeal, not one kid freaked out. They got a football out of the van, they played 500. They prayed, they laughed at the cars driving past us, but they were so calm, so great. We watched the sunset over Ridgedale Mall, so lovely. :o)

Here's my favorite voice mail message a 6th grade girl left for her parents:
"Hi it's Sam, I'm stranded. . . so I guess I'll be home later. Bye"

So for this weekend, let me just say thanks to:

Matt
Sarah
Dad
Tessa
Julie
Rachael
Lura
Michelle
Dwight
Tina
Katherine and Otis
Susan
Becky
My prayer team
The staff at Kingswood
My roommates who have heard this story 87 times
God
The people at Jimmy Johns in Wayzata
The people at Matt's Towing Company

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I've got a great community! Thank you!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Funny, I was just talking with a friend today about asking for help when you need it. Thanks for the good example!