Sunday, March 15, 2009

How to build community - bake extra and share - or at least offer to share.


Today, I tried my hand at sharing baked goods/building community.

M is our neighbor on the 27th street side. He's the head carpenter at Children's Theatre Company, (which, by the way, I think is one of the coolest assets of our neighborhood.) He takes good care of his house and yard, is active in neighborhood politics, and is quiet and pleasant. He's a good neighbor.


Today the weather was in the mid 50s, ice was melting and people were outside. M was outside of his house chopping ice when I came home from work, so I ran inside the house to get a bag of the cookies I made this weekend from my favorite cookbook. I offered the cookies, but M is a diabetic, so he turned them down, but we were able to talk a bit in between chopping ice. Maybe next time I'll bring vegetables.

Noel is on spring break, my quarter is over after tomorrow, Valerie's Master's project is done. You can visibly see the stress lifting from our house. The sunny skies help too.
Tomorrow is my day off, before school, with no homework to do! And the forcast is for 62 degrees. YAY!!!!!!!
I was recruited to run registration for our neighborhood meeting next month. I'm excited to see what that will be like. I really am blessed to live in this neighborhood and I'm looking forward to finding connections.

No comments: