Saturday, May 9, 2009

some seed

Cool! We got a shout out on Emily's blog, welcome to anyone who found us from there.

Our neighbor Jorge tilled our garden plot at the community garden this afternoon. We'll start planting tomorrow I think. It was great to be over there this afternoon for a few minutes to meet neighbors and see the plot again.

Our porch right now is an awesome place. In little peat pots and plastic containers all over our front porch filled with seeds and plants in various stages of growth.

I planted broccoli and cauliflower seeds most recently and they sprouted so quickly. I was so happy to see them come up.

I planted banana peppers a couple weeks ago. I have 3 of the 12 plants up, but mostly they're just barely coming out of the dirt. I'm not sure if I'll get anything from these seeds or not.

Jesus told a story about seeds:

"Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed.
4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, some multiplying thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times." (Mark 4 TnIV)

This week some friends of mine discovered that some young people we have been spending a lot of time with, praying for and speaking truth into their lives had seriously wronged people in our community. It certainly felt and looked like we were planting seeds. It felt like we were seeing growth. The day that the incident took place I had just spent time bragging about one of the kids involved. I had seen change in the life of this youth and I had seen hope. Yet. . . who knows? The God who has a plan with a future and a hope for these young people is not done doing this work.

I cannot control the outcome, yet I long for good things for these three young people who I care deeply for.

I don't know how many of the vegetables that Noel and Bethany and I plant we'll be able to eat. I don't know how long it will take for my banana peppers to bear fruit. I don't know, part of being a gardener, especially, I suspect a new gardener is that you just have to try what you know, ask questions, long for the best and see what happens.

May you bear a lot of fruit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know how many of the vegetables that Noel and Bethany and I plant we'll be able to eat. I don't know how long it will take for my banana peppers to bear fruit. I don't know, part of being a gardener, especially, I suspect a new gardener is that you just have to try what you know, ask questions, long for the best and see what happens.You have absolutely no idea how much I needed to hear that. Thanks.

Special K said...

If you're longing for some pepper, plum tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, or beefsteak tomatoes, I have quite a few plants of each that I haven't yet been able to get rid of! My summer garden won't be happening, but if you can use them, they are yours!