Monday, June 29, 2009

el Shaddai - guest post by Bethany



Bethany will be leaving the Stevens House on August 17, to take a teaching job in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. Below is a story she wrote connected to the garden we're a part of here and her teaching there.



The garden is a huge blessing in my life—it’s a source of recreation, fresh vegetables, green space in the city, and Christian fellowship through my friendship with L, another gardener. I had asked L to pray for me before and during my time in Tajikstan. About 10 days ago I was outside as she was walking by. The conversation went like this:


L: Bethany, I have to tell you something.

B: What’s up?

L: Well, I’ve been praying for you, and I couldn’t get the words “El Shaddai” out of my head. I did some research, and I think it may mean “God of the mountain.” Are there mountains where you’re going?

B: Yes, actually, Tajikistan is home to the 3rd highest mountain range in the world, and it’s very mountainous.

L: Well, He’s there.


I found out later that Tajikistan is 93% mountainous, and that another meaning of El Shaddai is “the God who is enough.” That was a huge encouragement to me, and I thought about my conversation with L and El Shaddai for the rest of the week.


Then on Saturday I received a Tajikistan travel guide I had ordered. I eagerly began to read the section on Dushanbe, the capital city, where I will live. I was scanning the restaurant section for places I could go when I’m hungry for food from home, and I came across an entry for the Morning Star café, which according to the guide is a great place to buy American bakery items like brownies and cinnamon rolls. The guide goes on to say: “Run by customer friendly Americans and local staff. Café is a faith based partnership between local NGO El Shaddai and an evangelical Christian NGO. Their stated aim is to train impoverished young woman to be financially independent.” The guide also mentions that the café is located near the Pedagogical University where I will be teaching, which is also near my apartment. That was about as clear as God could get to tell me “I’m there, I will be there, and my people are there too.” I’m eager to see what God has in store for me there.


1 comment:

Katie said...

VERY cool story! Thanks for sharing!