Thursday, February 26, 2009

How to Build Community - Leave Your House



We've got a lot of homework to do this week, so here we are at the Bad Waitress, I'm taking a quick break to put up pictures ( I can't think about "Transformational Leadership" any more this hour).

Today, I decided that Leaving the House would be my "How to be Community" action item. I spent maybe 45 minutes outside shovelling today and talked to some neighbors, including a Togolese family who I had as students when I taught at Jefferson. It's so hard to connect with neighbors in the winter, I remember going for a walk last April on a really nice day and telling my roommates, "It's so much easier to be a Christian in the spring." Connecting and talking with neighbors just seems natural when it's beautiful. When there's a gazillion inches of snow on the ground, it's hard. Lord help us!

I'm not sure if I'm doing much "community building" as I sit here doing leadership workshops. It does heighten my awareness of how busy our neighborhood is. I did get a chance to talk to some neighbors out shovelling as I walked over here. If there's one thing that builds connections in MN it's small talk about weather.

Alright, happy community building blizzard!

No comments: