Saturday, February 21, 2009

How to build community


We have a picture in our dining room called "How to build community"
This poster has been up since I moved in. I'm not sure if it's Wanda's or if it's from the previous regime. I've always liked it, but it's been a more of a "oh isn't that nice" list, than a "to do" list. I've been marvelling at how I get stuff done if I put it on a list this week, so, my February 21st resolution is to try to work through this list, and maybe make a habit of some of them. I'll keep you posted on how we do.
Paz y amor - Katie


Here's the list:

Turn off your TV.


Leave your house.


Know your neighbors,


Look up when you are walking;


Greet people;


Sit on your stoop;


Plant flowers;


Use your library;


Play together;


Buy from local merchants;


Share what you have;


Help a lost dog;


Take children to the park;


Garden together;


Support neighborhood schools;


Fix it even if you didn't break it;


Have pot lucks;


Honor elders;


Pick up litter;


Read stories aloud;


Dance in the street;


Talk to the mail carrier;


Listen to the birds;


Put up a swing;


Help carry something heavy;


Barter for your goods;


Start a tradition;


Ask a question;


Hire young people for odd jobs;


Organize a block party;


Bake extra and share;


Ask for help when you need it;


Open your shades;


Sing together;


Share your skills;


Take back the night;


Turn up the music;


Turn down the music;


Listen before you react to anger;


Mediate a conflict;


Seek to understand;


Learn from new and uncomfortable angles;


Know that no one is silent athough many are not heard. Work to change this

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've seen this poster, and I think this list is awesome. I'm sending encouragement your way.